Saturday 2 September 2017

Picnic on the hill


We walked to the top of the hill
Hand in hand not saying a word
Butterflies fluttered over grass green
We looked over the dazzling scene

Sun now shining on the valley
Farmer on tractor, barking dog
Where brown cows munched their daily fill
Us sprawled out on this flowery hill

The river below flows slowly on
At the copse edge a fox unseen
But by me as I kiss your nose
Fondling each other oh so close

I trace my fingers over your face
As you reach up to touch my palms
We hear the songbirds high above
Singing aloud that we're in love

I press my lips upon your cheek
Sun bows shyly behind a cloud
As we roll around with such delight
Thermos, tomatoes put to flight

We then hear other walkers come
Across our once idyllic field
Neaten our clothes and ravaged site
They pass, our smiles are blushing bright

Image found at http://www.melbournehotelconferences.com

29 comments:

  1. Aha - magical write Old Egg.. I really get swept along

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely imagery, brings back happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is absolutely delightful!!💖

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such love is evident in your words!! Almost idyllic. I enjoyed this, Robin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Idyllic, indeed.....you made me remember a mountainside, and his eyes looking at me, the sky behind him.........

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful romantic scene, awaiting more Robin
    Happy Sunday

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the taste of spring.. so far away.. and that of youth even further away... sweet

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds like splendor in the grass:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Darn those passersby! It was an idyllic and private moment. Beautiful memory.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a grand memory. We should all have similar ones.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember an afternoon like that with my husband. Nine months later came Rose.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a wonderful picnic. I've been there as well :-) A lovely interlude on a lovely day. Memories are their own sweet reward.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah yes... You too? Thank you for bringing to life a magical moment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your poem has made me regret not ever having a picnic invitation.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so lovely and romantic ... a wonderful capture that illustrates, once again, that the sweetest things in life are free.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was certainly one of the walkers. And I can tell you, we are all smiling brightly. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ah, young love, even if it happened yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A day in the country....long ago?

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a glorious day and one filled with love and wanting. S delight poem to read. Greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous! The poem is so beautifully done! Filled with love!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You always write such sweet, romantic poetry. But wait. You're throwing tomatoes at each other?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...only in the hurry to put things right Alice!

      Delete
  22. I'm watching the thermos and tomatoes tumble down the hill! :)

    ReplyDelete