Wednesday 7 June 2017

Are you looking at me?


"Are you looking at me?" she asked as she walked in the lift before him then turned round to face the now closing doors.

His face reddened but he apologised to her if she though that, saying that it was difficult not to look at other people in a confined space like this other than to stare at the doors waiting for them to open.

"No, no, don’t be upset it is just that I though perhaps we knew each other from way back as I thought you recognised me”.


“You didn’t’ come from Mitcham in South Australia did you?” she asked looking into his eyes, “as I am sure your face rings a bell too”.

Just then the lift reached the 6th floor, he should have got out, but entranced he pushed the close button and smiled at her.

“Me too” he then said "let’s swap numbers" giving her a card which she took, nodding and then said to him “I’ll ring…I promise”. 

Image found at www.glamour.com

15 comments:

  1. This reminds me of a story a co-worker told me recently. It seems her a friend she had made recently turned out to be her husband's first girlfriend. They had been out of touch for decades.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gave me a chuckle. The rules of engagement are the same everywhere. This one gave me a chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A survey says that women prefer to stand near the door of the elevator, and not look at anyone. Your protagonist just broke the rules :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. An uplifting coincidence. Well written.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful beginning! I wish them well .😊

    ReplyDelete
  6. only happened once... ex-gf stepped into the elevator car in a place that there should have been no possibility of our paths crossing.
    ...not all that enjoyable an elevator ride.

    lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lift over there, elevator here...and she won't ring him, or as we say, call. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They could go out for coffee (less intimidating than drinks and/or dinner) and figure out if they knew each other before. Stranger things have happened.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The chance encounter has so much potential...for good or ill.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All's well that ends well. The question is, does it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bet she doesn't call...

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's hard to say who is pursuing who here, but the classic "you look familiar" line apparently still works! I wish them a great future, it would make for a fun "how we met" story to tell family and friends!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Why wouldn't she call??? This was fun!!! Ivy/zoe

    ReplyDelete