Tuesday 14 January 2014

Old London



                                   Sweet Lavender?

I do love London

Where else to treat the senses

To hear the hawkers cry?

 

“Cherry Ripe” she calls

The bold girl winking at me

Lips to match her ware

 

On the street corner

“Knives and scissors to grind, girl?”

With maids in a line

 

“Sweet Lavender sir?

Your wife will want this at home

Six bunches a penny”

 

I do love London

To flirt with those pretty girls

I’ll go back there soon

 

On rereading this I felt a bit embarrased at including the knife grinder so for a another salesgirl try this one:

 

 “Look fine strawberries

They are as lush as I am sir”

Just who would not buy?

 

5 comments:

  1. An interesting take on the prompt. I could see the girls selling their wares.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strangely enough London doesn't seem to have changed a lot. I was shocked when I liv ed there how many people were still hawking wares in the streets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And now we have malls. Seems impersonal doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds as if the sweet memories of this place are indeed calling to you, Old Egg! Ahh, to be young and flirtatious again! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure, I couldn't tell what was so embarrassing about it.
    : )

    ReplyDelete